Sunday, February 01, 2009

Holiday Xtravaganza




Our homeschool program is run through the public school system. This is the place where we have the opportunity to go on so many amazing field trips. In December they had decided to have a Holiday Extravaganza, which we have skipped in the past since we do not celebrate xmas and that really is the focus of it. However this year they wanted to do something different. They wanted to have a party highlighting the various cultures and backgrounds of the families that make up the homeschool center. They asked me if I would be willing to participate and have a table showing what we do. After Scott and I talked about it we decided to decline as we felt sure they were looking for a more cultural experience and anything we had to share was going to come from a very biblically based foundation. We were also pretty sure since they are apart of the public school system that would not be acceptable. After a quick little meeting with a couple of the teachers, they decided they were still interested in having me participate with a table! I was so surprised! So, after talking it over with Scott we really felt it was meant to be, if the Lord was opening this door and opportunity to share, then who are we to not walk on through it? I created a presentation board which is the top photo. It is filled with information about the prophetic nature of Hanukkah as well as the evidence that the God that created this world has in the past redeemed and sustained His people and will do so again in the future. I had on my table my bible highlighting the fact the Yeshua (Jesus) celebrated this very feast as well as books that I like to use to help understand the festivals better. And last I had a little book that I wrote and a friend made beautiful by adding graphics to it, and to my utter surprise someone wanted a copy of it! It is just a little guide on how to celebrate the eight nights of Hanukkah with family activities and scriptures to meditate on. It turned out to be an incredible event. It also so happens I had an error on my board. I had left off the last line to the story of the Maccabees, which turned out to be wonderful because those that took the time to read it wanted to know the rest which opened the door for discussion! WONDERFUL! The kids had a great time as well. The middle picture is of Atira dancing a traditional dance (or is it a game?) from the Phillipines. And below that is at least a token shot of Jordan watching the kids...had to prove he was there right? What a blessing this was to be able to attend, and to think how resistant I was to begin with?! That's how it goes so often, things that are really meant for you to do, missions from the Lord are often the ones you go on kicking and screaming. You'd think I'd learn.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: